Re: brake lever excessive travel

Hi Jim!
Yep, I had a 1997 Speed Triple (T509) and the brakes were equally powerful but with much less lever travel. The two Daytona's I have tried both had much better brakes.
There seems to be some variation in the build quality on the ST, as I have ridden two other 1999 ST's neither of which had unreasonable brake lever travel.  Mine is positively dangerous, as they bite sharp but only 1" from touching the bars!  I think it must be due to the dimension of the pistons and the amount of fluid that is moving, since there is no mushiness.
I seem to remember that Steve Lilley (Steve, are you still on the list?) suggested upgrading the master brake cylinder to a larger diameter, but I dont see why we should have to foot the bill on a bike that cost so much only 1 year ago.  I dont think there can be any doubt that seriously excessive lever travel combined with twin 320mm floating discs could lead to an accident, and is therefore a safety issue?
cheers
Jonathan

Gregory D Girard <ggirard@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> This sounds like a defect somewhere.

    If so, I have the same defect.

> I had this issue with BMW and practically had to take legal action. My
> advise is to go the the shop and find a floor model with good brakes
> that meets your standards. This is not a problem do to the fact that
> the level travel is fine on this bike normally.

    According to the mechanic I talked to (not the manager) all the
Sprint STs they had seen up to that point (about a year ago) had the
same degradation in use.

    I have heard that the 955i brakes are better in this respect - has
anyone got any experience with them?

    I'd find it hard to argue safety, as the brakes still have plenty of
power, just more lever travel than I'd prefer.

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_              I vote for a communist state where I
  gillespie.org   / -.--.    ___    work for the government and they give
                 _\_  ~-.`--'_.-'   me all the TZ250's and Dunlops I need
                / /\\    \--'_ \\   to survive for a year.
 '99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/                            -- Roger Ford