another victim

As i sit here and write this letter it is with some disgust <yea i know
pretty strong word>.  i have owned different motorcycles from different
manufacturers over the past 18 yrs.  I am amazed at two differences.
The first is in the service assistance given to local dealers by Triumph
of America.  My local dealer where i bought my last Triumph is now not a
TRiumph dealer.  When i asked them last year what happened they told me
that Triumph wanted them to sell more T-birds, and adventurers before
they could sell daytonas, ST's or speed triples.  WEll the market where
i am is not so good about those t-birds and the like so they couldn't
get any new bikes so they bailed.

So i went and bought another Triumph.  This time a 99 ST.  Now i
expected there might be some bugs to it since it was a first year
model.  So i read the list and of course my gas gauge is all screwed up
after only 600 miles...ok so it took me a bit.  And thanks to this list
i have knowledge when i go to my dealer with my problem.  i of course
call ahead to warn the service guy i am coming in, tell him the problem
and even give him a clue on the solution.  So i drop the bike off and a
week later he calls me to pick up the bike.  Seems they tested to
circuits with there wiz bang machine and saw no problem but agreed it
was probably the sensor.  He then tells me he called Triumph 2 days
after i drove it in and he had not heard from them still.  He had some
paper work that he had to fill out and then it had to get approved and
then they had to order/send the part.  Now in reading the list i am
guessing it will take about a month + to see a new sending unit.  So the
service guy gives me my bike back and says....i'll call you.  Now here
comes the good part.  The sending unit at least worked a little bit ,
but since getting the bike back it doesn't work at all.  So i drive with
my reserve light covered with tape wondering, why if Triumph knew that
the sending units sucked didn't they just replace them all.  You know i
just didn't have this many problems with the Japanese bikes i owned.
Sorry for the length of the post but i needed to vent a little.

Jim K.