Re: brake lever excessive travel

Juan Llena wrote:

> MY name is juan llena from Spain (black sprint ST 99) 16000km
> i find some interesting information about de "excessive travel of brake"
> in this page
> http://www.t5net.com/common/faq/Brakes/lever_travel.html

Juan,

This is a great link.

I have rebuilt a few sets of brakes.  So I will chime in with my MAS
(male answer syndrome) $0.02

There are a few other things to consider.

When changing the tires, take a moment to clean the caliper pistons.  I
do this with a toothbrush.  There is no reason to make the seals work
harder than they need to.

If you rinse the inside of the calipers with lotsa water, let them dry
before attempt the process on the page above.

Everytime you do the process above you are slightly contaminating the
brake fluid in the system.  Water is the #1 enemy of brake fluid.  It is
not a performance improvement fluid.  The dust and crap on the pistons
will begin to degrade the seals.  Seals that start to rot put crap into
the brake fluid too.

I flush the brake system on my race bike at the beginning of every
season (ok 2 times so far) since it doesn't get ridden much between
november and march.  I don't suggest "cleaning" the pistons with brake
fluid.  Somebody told me why once.  I don't remember who, or the reason,
but at the time it made sense, but since I can't give the reason, I
guess that it is urban legend, until someone has more detail.

- -chuck

tdm850
vtr250
xl250