Triumph support

This came through to the Triumph Digest yesterday, and Tim gave me
permission to repost it here. There is lots of good info in here.
- - Eric

Hello all,
	As a dealer, I try to keep quiet and "listen" to the list for the heads
up on potential problems, possible solutions, and input on bike
pros/cons, etc..  I try to help when I see a problem that I might
solve.  I stay out of the political/social/controversial/wd40
conversations.  But I've just got to respond to Jim on the "another
victim" thread.  First of all Jim, don't assume that a disgruntled
Triumph dealer is giving you the gospel truth about his/her relations
with our "mother ship" in Georgia.  The fact of the matter is Triumph
does not dictate to any dealer what bikes to order how many of them to
order.  We are asked to submit an order for the following year at our
dealer meetings so they can set up supplies/production to suit.  This
same procedure is used by all of the major motorcycle and auto
manufacturers.  If your dealer was too conservative in his ordering, or
didn't order at all he won't get the bikes, or he won't get any until
the orders that dealers committed to at the conference are filled.
Period..  So I'm guessing that the guy didn't order any or many of the
bikes he later wished he did.  And he's pissed about it.  And the dealer
down the road seems to be getting plenty of them, and is, because he
pre-ordered them.
     There are some exceptions to these terms.  In some cases a dealer
reps may be asked to "promote" a bike whose sales might be a bit
sluggish (ok, its a loser).  As a dealer, we can either choose to help
if we can, or not.  We help by taking a bike we didn't necessarily want,
or featuring it more prominently in our advertising, or running a sale
on that particular model.  Anything to help them move.  Now let's say a
dealer is in the habit of not helping.  Later, when a particular model
is tough to get, and two dealers in an equal position (neither
preordered it, both have it sold, both are in good credit standing with
both Triumph and their floorplan financier) ask for it, who gets it?
Who do you think?  And I can assure you, EVERY BIKE MANUFACTURER WORKS
THIS SAME WAY!
	Jim your next problem, the fuel sending unit, was again misdirected to
Triumph and not your dealer.  As dealers, get receive bulletins which
describe potential problems and their remedy.  Your problem in
particular was discussed in a number of bulletins.  The dealer should
have been quite aware of the problem.  That was mistake number one.
Next, based on your VIN #, he could have ordered that part in even
before you brought the bike in.  That was mistake number two.  Finally,
Triumph's "prior consultation" procedure requires that we dealers fax in
an info sheet describing the bike, the problem, and possible solutions.
In this case, multiple bulletins have described the solution (replace
it).  If Triumph does not respond via phone or fax within three hours
(and they usually do unless the obvious answer exists as in this case
via the bulletins) PROCEED with the warranty!  That was mistake number
three!  Someone at the dealership either didn't do their job, or is
feeding you a line of SH__!  That's the way it is.  Your dealer may be
pissed that I just "spilled the beans" about it, but this is the truth,
as policy dictates.
	Triumph is not perfect.  I'm exposed daily to areas in the dealer to
mother ship relations that need improvement.  Don't ask me what those
problems are as it is up to the dealer and manufacturer to work those
problems out.  No manufacturer is perfect.  If you don't believe me,
look up Honda's recent lawsuit activities throughout their corporation.
In particular, check out the proceedings of the people vs. Honda Motors
Corp. and The Hendrick family of dealerships in North Carolina.  That is
the reality of what is/has happened among many manufacturers!  I for one
am glad Triumph is pretty straight laced in it's policies.  Thanks.
Tim Tokarsky