Shifting Problem

Hi Folks,

I'm hoping that someone can help me with a shifting problem I'm having. Not
a problem with the ST, but with me.

I'm still recovering from injuring my back and haven't ridden now for three
weeks. I think in the last 20 years that is just about a record. Although
my back is feeling better, I am left with a lot of numbness in my left
foot, and a condition known as drop foot, meaning I can't lift my foot.
That being the exact motion required to shift, I find that I can't ride
unless I want to stay in first gear, and while the ST could probably do at
least 50mph in first, it's not my recommend way to ride it.

I'm thinking of trying to install a temporary fix, some kind of heel and
toe shifter and was wondering if anyone knows of any sources for one.  Or
maybe some of you who have more fabrication experience would be willing to
craft one? I'm not sure how long it's going to take to get back to normal,
but I find riding more comfortable than driving, not to mention the
emotional side to it. Yesterday I made a short trip to the bank in the
truck and must have seen about a dozen bikes and each one reminded me what
I'm missing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Matt Knowles - mattknowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.earthlink.net/~mattknowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - (408) 977-1804
http://www.aestheticdesign.com