Re: Neutral woes

Rich Lane wrote

"When I
ride the
bike for 15 minutes or more then go to park the bike is very fussy about
finding
neutral.  I shift it up into second and back down, the light comes on
although it
flickers a bit.  When I put the side stand down the bike cuts out
leading me
to believe
the bike was in neutral enough to not go anywhere when I let the clutch
out
but not
enough for the side stand circuit."

I had the exact same problem with the flickering light and the engine
cut before my 600 mile service.  The dealer said there are sensors on
the stands, neutral indicator, and if I remember right the clutch.  He
replaced the neutral indicator sensor (which was causing the flickering
light) and the stand sensor.  Everything cleared up and no problems in
the last 2000 miles.  He said the neutral indicator sensor was probably
bad and I think changed the stand sensor just for good measure.
Everything under warranty.  They mentioned they had seen this once
before.  The bike is in neutral, but the electronic brains of the engine
gets a signal from the sensor making it think it is in gear and cutting
the engine.  Shouldn't be any problem for your dealer to fix.

Doug Bailey
'00 Sprint ST
'97 HD Low Rider