Re: Rear Brake Wear

Only you will be able to confirm or deny whether you ride the rear brake,
but judging from the recent posts that I have read regarding pre-mature rear
pad wear, another distinct possibility is that the rear brake caliper has
been seized for some period of time, perhaps even from day one.

It may be too late to say for sure in your case, but you may want to check
your calipers now anyway.  The best way to check is to go for a ride and,
when you get back, check the temperature of the rear rotor.  It should never
be warmer to the touch than either of the front rotors, especially since the
front brakes do 70-80% of the work.  Several listers have reported that
theirs were smokin' hot!  Apparently the problem can be rectified by
disassembling the caliper and working stuff free.  Your dealer should also
be able to determine if the caliper is frozen.  If it is, that should
qualify you for a warranty claim.

I don't know what is reasonable to expect for pad life, especially on the
rear, and I still have less than 3000K on my bike.  I can tell you I've
already checked mine for excessive heat buildup, and so far there doesn't
seem to be any problem, other than the fact that the rear brake doesn't work
worth a s&^t anyway, but that's a different story (my theory is that, for
whatever reason, Triumph deliberately made the rear brake the way it is, but
probably to reduce the chances of rear-wheel lockup).

Neil Lindsey
'99 Black ST