RE: Waving

> From: "Robert Wilson"
>
> That's no excuse, In the UK if for some reason we can't take our hands off
> the bar - we wave with our feet!

Must admit, I've never seen this one before.... I shall now instantly be
able to recognise Wilson if I ever see him on the roads :-)

FWIW, waving's not so prevalent here in the UK, as we cross throttle-hand to
throttle-hand. Attention's rarely diverted to the off-side of the road which
would be where a wave were to come from. A subtle (my opinion - 'silly' my
wife's opinion) nod of the head is 'de rigueur' instead. Also, nodding has
to assess the size of the oncoming vehicle. T'would be considered poor form
to nod at a commuter scooter.

Also FWIW, my experiences of 'waving' in the Germanic counties is that it's
almost mandatory. There it's less of a wave so much as a 'hang your arm out
parallel to the road'. This makes biking more of a contact sport -
particularly on narrow roads!

BRG