Re: Speeding tickets, plea bargains, etc

Mike,

Thanks for the advice.  The reasons I want a lawyer are:
1. At 22mph over the limit, that's six points on my license.  Insurance in
NJ is high enough with a clean license.  I can't stand the thought of paying
them bandits more.
2. The lawyer's fee is $150.  I'd have to take a full day off work to handle
this myself, so $150 seems like a good deal, especially since he'll probably
be able to reduce the fine more than me, and maybe eliminate any points.

Why would getting a lawyer be the last thing you'd do?  Do you think it's
just not worth it, or do you think it would have an adverse effect on the
outcome?  Does it upset the police officer in the case, the judge, or both?
I don't particularly relish the idea of "throwing myself at the mercy of the
court" by pleading guilty.

Thanks,

Mort Harries
'00 ST