Re: hello everyone

Mark Collett wrote:

> - What can I do to make the suspension more sporting?

IMHO, the stock front forks are very soft but the rear end is good "as
is" and has plenty of adjustment available to handle heavier
loads/two-up riding.

I had my dealer RaceTech the front end about three months ago and have
been very satisfied with the result. There's a lot less dive under
braking, the bike doesn't bobble after taking fast turns with dips in
them, and the feedback from the front is better, too. (I must confess
that I didn't spend a lot of time dorking with the suspension settings,
though, so maybe I could have dialed-out that bobble with the stock
setup. :-)

> - What has the history been for reliability?  Also, what are the
> maintenance intervals (valve adjustment in particular).

The current ST has only been around since 1999, but based on feedback
(or lack thereof) on the list, they're quite reliable. If you've surfed
the archive you'll have already heard about the fuel guage sender
problems and the service bulletins/recalls for crank case bolts and
drive chains. Pretty minor issues for a new bike design, IMHO.

Valve adjustments are every 12,000 miles.

- --
Blake "Dawgbert" Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Burlingame, CA, USA