Re: Triumph Racing History

> > - - Does Triumph have a racing heritage

Road Dawg's reply in st-digest V2000 #575 misses out five decades and a lot
of the fun....

After the start of bicycle production in 1887, the founding fathers (two
German immigrants to the UK by the names of Siegfried Bettmann & Moritz
Schulte) turned their attentions to two-wheelers in 1902...

The first competitive foray I can find was the 1907 Isle of Man Tourist
Trophy (2nd & 3rd places) followed by a win in 1908...possibly with JAP
engines.

Next milestone up would have to be the revolutionary 4-valve/central plug
500cc single designed by (Sir) Harry Ricardo in 1921 (finished 2nd in the
1922 TT).

Percy Tait (factory employee) raced a factory special 500cc Daytona on the
British circuits during the '60s (most notable for its low forward pannier
oil tanks). Whilst the 650cc Bonneville was often to be seen at British and
IoM TT Production races in the 60s and 70s.

1968 (I think it was) saw the introduction of the T150 Trident, and this,
together with the Rocket-3 of sister company BSA, spawned one of the biggest
track success stories of the late '60s/early 70s, including UK Transatlantic
Trophy, TT and Daytona. The full Formula-750 Trident/Rocket 3 was THE bike
to beat, packing its 80-odd bhp into an excellent chassis (ex Rob North - I
think), and proving itself much more manageable than its Suzuki TR750 and
Kawasaki KR750 contemporaries. For anyone of my vintage (I was a teenager at
the time) who heard one of these 3-1 open megaphoned beauties, it's a
war-cry never to be forgotten!

Even Giacomo Agostini (whilst under contract to MV) took delivery of a
Trident, and had a lap of the Oulton Park circuit - without helmet (1969, I
think).

Does Triumph have a racing heritage.....!!

BRG