Duc vs. Sprint / racing history / etc.

You guys are awesome!

So many people have replied, thanks so much for all the feedback.  Sorry
to be ignorant about Triumph history, I am only a 25 yr old who has
watched motorcycle racing since I was 19.  So I've only got the
'japanese domination' view of racing (and Ducati also).  I mostly watch
World SBK and GP, and AMA races - all I had remembered of Triumph was
seeing it's bikes in Pro Thunder.  It is a good point, someone made,
that they haven't been very visible in recent racing as they have been
focusing on creating real-world motorcycles.  From what I read in the
brief history, it looks like Triumph have done well to rebuild
themselves into a true competitor in today's market.  It's a formula
that works well for me.  I guess I'm the type of person who wants to
make a purchase based on what a company stands for - knowing of the
racing heritage helps!

This evening the honorable Bill Barkley allowed me a test ride on his
blue Sprint ST.  I must say I am still quite surprised and pleased with
the results.  Although my yzf makes more torque, the ST was quite a good
all around package.  I initially was noticing how the bike felt top
heavy - but once I understood how it behaved with steering inputs,
things worked very well.  The steering felt lighter than I expected, and
very precise.  Also, plush, yet very controlled suspension!  I think I
would eventually do the Race Tech mod, but by no means is the stock
setup a slouch.

A few noticeable things - very easy to ride fast!  Neutral steering,
very sensitive to handlebar inputs, and good front end feedback.  Fun,
fun fun.  I could just ride over big mid-corner bumps and the ST just
soaked them up.  Brakes - good bite, hard to match the yzf one piece
calipers but the ST brakes were very good.  Nice tranny!  Click click -
of course anything is better than a yamaha trashbox, but the ST gearbox
had a very positive feel, very nice.  And what about that seating
position - can't say enough.  Comfy!  I didn't want to give the bike
back to Bill.  I could see myself riding for hours on the thing.  Torque
- - the 5000 rpm hit was getting addictive, get the motor there and whack
the throttle, especially fun in a turn!  Sound - halfway between a four
and a twin.  Just listening to the three big cylinder pulses was cool.
I'm starting to really lean towards the Sprint....

And the inevitable questions:

- - Jim Gagne - you mentioned you had more info...  I'm all ears!
- - Race Tech fork upgrade, what does it cost for parts?  I figure I can
do the work myself.
- - Aftermarket slip-ons?  Any $$/hp/torque figures?  Hearing the triple
makes me want to bring the sound out, but I don't want a race pipe, just
a bit more of the good sound.
- - What does the 3 bag system (panniers and topcase) go for?

I think that's it.  This weekend I will still try out the Duc's - but I
think I'm in the Sprint corner right now.  Of course the ride did that,
realizing how competent the whole package really is.  I know the Sprint
does give up a few things to the yzf, but it's up to me to decide how
important those few things are compared with the good things the Sprint
does.

Probably I will have a decision this weekend after the Duc ride.  If I
opt for Triumph, JE's Honda in Hickory NC has been recommended.  I will
probably be calling them about getting a British Racing Green Sprint
sometime next year.  Sure wish next year was now!

Thanks again everyone...

Mark Collett

- --

Mark Collett