I have heat!

Just finished installing the (Triumph) heated grips on my RS. I took it
slow, and followed all the directions, adding one step which took a little
extra time. Cutting the fairing with nothing more than an electric drill and
a file was tedious too. No scratches or gaps around the switch!

On the RS, there's very little room behind the instrument panel. That is
where the factory hid the connection to the main wiring harness. I couldn't
get that plug free, so I had to remove the front cowling (mirrors off,
disconnect the parking lamp, six screws and it's off.) Once that was off,
however, I was able to easily finish a very neat job of running the wires
and tying them off. Heck, it almost looks like a "Triumph factory-trained
technician" did the installation.

My only issue is that there's now a larger gap between the end of the left
hand grip's rubber and the bar-end weight. No problem. Being a machinist,
I'll just shorten that bar-end weight's spacer and get a perfect fit &
finish.

Gave it the "smoke test", (which is: put power to it, and if there's no
smoke, you wired it right). Total time, including sitting down to re-read
the steps a few times, was 2.5 hours. I wonder, what does the Triumph labor
rate manual give for a trained technician to do the job?

Now just looking to add an electric vest (I put the accessory outlet on a
couple of weeks ago), and I'll be set for the cold temps coming. Gerbing
seems good, but is the Eclipse or Widder any better/less expensive? Sources
(U.S.)?

Ken M.
2000 RS

End of st-digest V2000 #578