antifreeze

In a message dated 11/1/00 9:59:27 AM, owner-st-digest@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Would appreciate some input re: anti-freeze.  None of the major retailers
in
Denver (i.e., Checker, Pep Boys, Napa, Auto Zone, etc.), carries Mobil
anti-freeze.  Any recommendations on substitutions? I had been aware in the
past of certain "auto" anti-freezes being corrosive in motorcycle engines
(e.g., Honda's Gold Wings seemed to have pump leak problems and hence
recommend their own motorcycle anti-freeze) ---- does anyone know if this is
a problem with Triumph --- or can I just throw in good 'ol Prestone or some
other higher quality 'auto' anti-freeze.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lance "Dawgmanaut" La Certe

The problem with Goldwing water pump seal leakage is said to be due to
silicates in the automotive antifreeze, which are abrasive partcles meant to
keep the cooling passages clean. The Honda antifreeze is silicate-free, as is
the new Prestone 5/50 extended life antifreeze said to be good for five years
or 150,000 miles, silicate and phosphate free. Maxima makes a
Motorcycle-specific antifreeze called Coolanol. The label says nothing about
silicates, but when I called them, they said it is low-silicate. Dave
Collins, San Diego