Re: Nickel plating

>>>If they're just nickel plated, you'll be polishing later. As an owner of
an
old house with nickel plated hardware, I know this to be true. If you went
the plating route, how come you didn't go chrome?<<<

Matt,
     Wheels are polished as per normal then have a thin layer of nickel
plating over the top. The finish on this is satin after the plating, but it
is then polished up. The 'nickel' may not be the same as your taps etc as
it is an electroless plating process called "NicoCover". I dont think you
can do plain nickel plating on aluminium ?
     Allegedly, the only maintenance required is to clean with "Mr Sheen",
(a spray on cleaning product) to remove road grime & chain lube. Even If I
do have to polish them when the bike is as old as your house, I would still
be happy as repolishing aluminium all the time is a pain.
     The finish is almost identical to chrome plating, perhaps the tiniest
bit duller. Apparently chrome is only a colour put over the top of some
other plating (eg: nickel) anyway ? I have been led to believe there are no
hydrogen embrittlement problems with this process as there is with chrome
electroplating, which can cause structural failure & is therefore banned on
suspension components etc.

     Regards,

     Darren.