EFI Remapping (Long)

I recently got a new custom made exhaust put on my '00 ST to replace the
crash damaged original. It is a carbon fibre oval can slip on made my
Pipemasters in Brisbane, Australia.

Pipemasters told me before I had the exhaust fitted that they didn't have
the equipment to remap the Triumphs but that it should need little or no
remapping from their experience with T595 Daytona's.

When I picked the bike up after having the new exhaust fitted and rode it
back to work I found that the bike would lag so badly below about 3500rpm
that it would almost stall. If the throttle was wound on from about 2000rpm
when taking off the bike would hesitate, splutter a bit and then take off.
It seemed to have lost torque throughout the rev range although I don't
think I reved it above about 7500rpm.

On the next day (Saturday) I took it down to the only Triumph dealer it the
area with a mechanic working on Saturdays to have it remapped. He commented
that the core of the exhaust looked really big. He thought it would be too
big and would definitely sap power from down low and possibly reduce power
throughout the rev range. However he loaded in the Triumph aftermarket
exhaust tune and adjusted the idle mixture on a gas analyser. When I rode
away from the dealer I found that it had basically fixed the lagging but the
bike still seemed to be down on power. Also if you don't keep the revs above
2500 when taking off the bike will bog down really badly and wont start
accelerating properly until the revs rise above about 3000rpm.

On Monday I called back the exhaust manufacturer and explained to him what
was happening. He said that I needed to order a different chip for the
computer and that it would solve all my problems. He also repeated his
promise that the bike shouldn't be down on power anywhere and should gain
power right across the rev range when it is properly tuned. I told him that
you can't put different chips in Triumphs and you need to remap the
computer. He said that he would call Fuel Injected Motorcycles in Melbourne.
Apparently they are the experts on non-Japanese efi motorbikes in Australia.
I've been calling him back every couple of days for two weeks now and he
still hasn't managed to talk to the person at FIM in Melbourne. So I had a
couple of questions I thought I would run past the list and see what
everyone thinks.

Has anyone else fitted a non Triumph aftermarket exhaust? If so how well did
the bike handle it and what did you do about efi adjustment?

Should a less restricted exhaust cause higher fuel consumption if you
accelerate at the same rate etc.?

Do you know of any way to adjust the mixture above idle other that loading
in the Triumph tunes?

I really love the sound and look of the new exhaust but I'm not prepared to
loose a heap of power and/or fuel economy just to hear it.

Thanks for any help and sorry about the length of this email but I thought
I'd better give all the facts.

Phil
'00 ST Blue