Re: Race Tech was...

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Tynan" <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: November 9, 2000 12:07 PM
Subject: RE: Race Tech was...

> Neil,
>
> My local suspension 'guru' has just upgraded the suspension on my 00 ST
BRG.
> His opinion was that RaceTech didn't offer anything that couldn't be
> achieved by tailoring the existing set-up.
>
> The word from my man was that using a lot of preload with the stock set-up
> (I was running 5mm visibility) merely compresses all the light-impact
> absorbence out of the (vari-rate) spring, whilst the lack of damping ...
just makes it pogo.

> Modifications
> -------------
> Front: Damping hole bored out (size unknown)
>        Damping rod polished
>        Ohlins 8658-80 single rate springs (1-2cm shorter than stock)
>        Ohlins 15w oil
>        Pull-through increased from 0->5mm
>        Preload reduced to zero
> Cost
> ----
> Front GBP 180
> - both parts & labour

The analysis seemed to make a lot of sense.  But how does the cost compare
to the RaceTech scenario (either partial or full boat)? -- I assume that GBP
stands for British Pound ????? (please excuse my ignorance)

However, the impression I'm left with is that it sounds like all these
changes gets you to about where the RaceTech mods get you (with no apparent
advantage either way), and that since you're changing the springs anyway,
that I'm still not sure why not to go the RacTech route.  Is it THAT much
more expensive?

Sure would be nice to know size the damping hole was bored out to -- any
chance you could ask and let us know?

Also, I wonder what all would change for someone like me, who weighs about
185 lb (I suspect the height is irrelevant, but in case not, I am 5'11")

Anyway, I don't think my dealer knows enough about suspension modifications
to be of much help.

Neil Lindsey
'99 Black ST