Trip report (long)

Last Sunday I returned from a ten-day, 3,100 mile road trip from Detroit to
Miami.  This was my longest motorcycle trip to date.  The ST list was a
valuable source of information as I made preparations for the trip.  Here
are some of my observations on the ST, accessories, and ten days on the
road.

Average mpg = 51 mpg.  The minimum was 48 mpg, and the maximum was 58 mpg.

Product evals:
   Back in September or October there was a thread about the Airhawk seat
cushion.  At the last minute, I ordered one.  I?m glad I did.  This
increased my comfort level immeasurably.  Your brain and your other body
parts will fatigue way before your butt.  I had no problem being in the
saddle for 10 hours a day.  I find the ST stock seat OK for short day trips,
but the ride to the North Carolina rallye this summer convinced me that my
bony butt needed something else.  The Airhawk cushion was well worth its
price tag of $180. Check out http://www.rohoinc.com/
    My original plan was to tie a waterproof duffle bag to the rear end of
my seat with bungee cords.  After reading Erik Miner?s post about the
near-fatal consequences of a broken bungee cord, I resorted to a cargo net.
This worked fine.
    Heated grips and Throttlemeister: The ST list already contains numerous
postings about these items.  The heated grips were great whenever the temp
dropped below 55 degrees Fahrenheit.  And the Throttlemeister spared my
right wrist a lot of discomfort.

Day 1 (Friday, October 27):  Detroit to Parkersburg, West Virginia.  346
miles.
Last night it rained in Detroit.  The streets are wet and I wonder if I?m
going to have to start my trip in the rain.  Fortunately, I don?t see any
rain until the end of the day, just a lot of gray clouds.  In West Virginia
I encountered rain.  Although it was still light out and I had enough energy
to continue riding, I called it quits when I saw a Days Inn sign.  The desk
clerk even invited me to park under the overhang covering the front
entrance.  Bless her heart.

Day 2 (Saturday): Parkersburg, West Virginia to Columbia, South Carolina.
444 miles
It didn?t rain anymore last night.  Roads relatively dry.  Temp in the 50s
(Fahrenheit).  Fog.  Watched my speed until the fog lifted.  Beautiful
scenery as the countryside turned mountainous.  Sadly, there were a lot of
dead deer along the side of the road.  This kept me on my toes, alert to the
possibility that a live one might leap in my path.  I continue to be amazed
and delighted at how solid and true the ST is.  Even when fully loaded with
all my touring gear, it is surprisingly maneuverable and nimble in the
curves.  By 4:00 in the afternoon, my lower back is complaining.  I wonder
what a Gold Wing with a back rest would be like . . . .

Day 3 (Sunday):  Columbia, South Carolina to Ormond Beach, Florida.  413
miles.
Stopped at a Waffle House for breakfast somewhere in rural South Carolina.
A couple stopped to check out the ST as they were getting into their car.
The woman, who apparently had never seen a Euro or Japanese sport bike
before, asked ?Are those handlebars supposed to be that low??  Next
question: ?Does it have a radio??  Maybe they were Gold Wing riders.  Later,
while stopped for lunch in Georgia, I had a real close call.  Suited up
after lunch and prepared to head out.  Uh oh.  Where did I put that key?
Searched all pockets.  No key.  Looked under the bike.  No key.  Retraced my
steps.  No key.  After 30 minutes of panic, I sheepishly go into the Denny?s
and ask the cashier if anyone found a key.  YES!  A good Samaritan found the
key in the parking lot!  Thank you, kind sir, whoever you are.  Resolved:
never ever travel without a spare key again.

Day 4 (Monday):  Ormond Beach, Florida to Miami Beach.  296 miles.
U.S. Highway 1 took me near Eric Sheely?s hometown of Port St. John.  Called
the number in the phonebook and, sure enough, it?s Eric?s voice mail.  Would
?ve been great to have seen you, Eric, but since I was there at mid-day, you
were probably slaving away in the office.  Had enough of Highway 1, so it?s
back onto I-95 for some 75 mph interstate travel.  Here?s where I learned an
important Throttlemeister lesson.  I made the mistake of locking in the
Throttlemeister at a few mph over the flow of traffic.  Was in the left
lane, slowly passing an enormous 18-wheeler.  Must?ve been hanging in his
blind spot, because when I was even with his cab, my peripheral vision
caught his turn signal and my diminishing space as the truck entered my
lane!  I cracked the throttle and got out of there in an instant.  Finally
arrived in Miami during the afternoon rush hour.  Talk about aggressive city
drivers!

Day 5 (Tuesday) and 6 (Wednesday).
No riding.  Too busy living it up on South Beach.

Day 7 (Thursday):  Miami Beach to Valdosta, Georgia.  507 miles.
Left Miami Beach at 7 a.m.  Wanted to avoid another rush hour experience.
Took U.S. 41 through the Everglades, which was peaceful with all of the
spectacular birds.  Even saw an alligator on the side of the road (alive, I
think).  In a Naples gas station, a customer motioned to the ST and said to
me (with a wink), ?*That* looks slow.?  In northern Florida, the wear bars
started to show on my rear tire.  Not having seen this before, I freaked
out.  I didn?t know if the end was imminent, or what.  A call back home to
my trusty dealer, and Paul Lasko at Triumph Detroit assured me that I could
make it home without replacing the tire.  (He was right.)

Day 8 (Friday):  Valdosta, Georgia to Chattanooga, Tennessee.  430 miles.
Chain was loose, so I tightened it up before taking off.  Lots of fog this
morning.  Made good time until I hit Atlanta.  Inadvertently took the direct
route straight through downtown Atlanta.  Even at noon, traffic was thick
and intense.  At Paul Lasko?s urging, I exited I-75 in northern Georgia and
got on some secondary roads in search of the Chalahalla (sp?) Parkway.  This
is a ?must see? scenic route, according to Paul.  By the time I had traveled
50 miles into the back country, it was 3:00.  Rain was in the forecast, I
was getting tired, and there didn?t appear to be any motels anywhere near
where I was heading.  I decided to backtrack to I-75, saving the Chalahalla
(sp?) Parkway for some other time.

Day 9 (Saturday): Chattanooga, Tennessee to Lima, Ohio.  500 miles.
Light rain in Kentucky.  Another chain adjustment needed near Cincinnati.
By late afternoon I was in Dayton and the temperature really started to
drop.  Turned the vest on high and was perfectly comfortable except for the
exposed part of my legs above my too-short boots.

Day 10 (Sunday): Lima, Ohio to Detroit.  170 miles.
Temperature in the 30s this morning.  The ST had a light covering of frost.
And another chain adjustment was required.  Hit the highway at 9:00.  This
was an invigorating ride!  Pulled into a gas station about 30 minutes from
home.  A puddle of oil formed underneath the left side.  This was more than
a couple of drops.  The puddle was about the size of the speedometer dial.
Now I?m concerned.  Looking through the oil level sight window, it appears
that I?m right at the minimum mark.  This is a little too close for comfort,
but I don?t have any extra oil with me.  Good thing this is happening close
to home.  Arrived home around noon.  Total round trip mileage was 3,104
miles.

  Pete Berg
  '99 Sprint ST
  Royal Oak Michigan