Chain adjustment -- was "Trip report (long) "

That's my theory, too.  Right before the trip my dealer performed the 6,000
mile service.  When I retrieved the bike, the chain seemed unusually tight.
Anyway, right now it's back at the dealer.  As you said, I suspect the front
sprocket seal will need replacing.

- - Pete