Catalyst "brick"

I was at a dealer today and started to enquire about what it would cost to
convert my bike from California to Federal spec.  A new non catalyst exhaust
collector was something over $800.  I find it hard to believe that a small
bit of fabricated pipe could cost that much.

Has anyone been able to remove the brick from their exhaust and reinstall
the pipes?  The workshop manual and fiche show it as a seperate part.  Is it
feasable to cut the pipe open, remove the brick, and reweld the pipes?

Eric

00 ST Blue (the color babes like best)