Living in an obstacle course

My commute is two miles of San Francisco city traffic each way, 17
stoplights (!), three stop signs, and exactly zero opportunities to get
out of first gear.  I do a lot of swerving to avoid idiots, quick
accelerations and stops for the same reason, and just generally the
same maneuvering you'd do if you were riding through a video game where
everything was trying to kill you.  The pavement sucks, expecially
south of Market where the road is under serious construction.

I do this four or five days a week.

I realize that this is probably hell on brakes, but am I stressing
other parts of the bike?  Is there anything I should do differently in
terms of maintenance?

- -Patti