Re: shifting -- gets better?

Greetings Paul -

If your Sprint came from the factory with a "straight" clutch lever (compared
to say, the mildly curved lever on a Daytona or a TT600) you can replace it
with the curved lever from one of the two aforementioned models.  This gains
you a bit more lever travel (therefore room to fully disengage the clutch
plates) before the lever meets the grip at full pull.

By replacing the lever and carefully adjusting out all but the minimum amount
of freeplay (but not all of it) in the cable you can clean up the shifting a
bit more.  Another thing to check would be the shift linkage.  Pack some good
waterproof grease into joints.  I've seen some examples come from the factory
looking pretty dry, and this will be detrimental to smooth shifting as well.

If you are feeling rally spunky bleed the front brake lines  while you are in
the garage messing with the clutch lever etc.  And take the time to make sure
that lever pivots, cables, etc. work smoothly and are adjusted for your
personal ergos.  The cumulative value of these often overlooked items can be
substantial and make your bike much more satisfying to ride.

In a message dated 11/19/00 12:56:27 AM Eastern Standard Time, Paul Fox
writes:

> the other time it's hard to shift is at a full stop -- getting from
>  first to neutral or second is quite hard.  it takes so much pressure
>  that i invariable end up in 2nd, and have to go back down to neutral.
>  is this also common?

All the Best,
Kenny Stewart
Road Dawg ('00 Sprint RS Lucifer Orange)