Re: shifting -- gets better?

>My '99 ST transmission has smoothed out considerably now that I am
>approaching 9000 km, but my biggest issue would be about the considerable
>CLUNK that I get when I shift from neutral into 1st (or 2nd for that matter)
>when at a standstill after the bike has fully warmed up.  When it's the
>engine's cold it's fine, and this doesn't seem to vary with weather
>conditions.

That's been my experience with my '99 ST as well. I find that when I start
her up, she goes into first very smoothly. As it warms up I get a big clunk
going into first or second also.

I have over 10k on the bike now and the transmission isn't in the warm
butter or smooth wine category. It still takes a determined shift and while
preloading helps, it's not something I ever had to do with the seven other
bikes I've owned, and new habits are hard to learn at this point. I'm just
glad that with the motor that sits attatched to the transmission, changing
gears isn't really necessary most of the time.

Matt Knowles - mattknowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.earthlink.net/~mattknowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - (408) 977-1804
http://www.aestheticdesign.com