Pannier installation comments and a question

ST owners,

I spent 1/2 a day today installing the side panniers on my Sapphire Blue '01
ST,
and I wanted to comment on the instructions found on the FAQ. First of all,
the
extra comments from Lex Offer were very helpful, and consistent with my
installation
experience.

For step 21, I also found that one of the holes in the lock backplate was
difficult.
Initially it seemed like it wasn't the correct size/thread pitch for the
original screw,
but I very carefully started the original screw in the hole, and threaded it
in. I took
it back out, and the threads looked clean, so I think the hole was just
tapped poorly,
If you have trouble with it like I did, and if you are careful you should be
able to use
the screws as stated in the Triumph instructions.

For me, the hardest part of the entire job was putting the turn indicator
wires through
the rubber boots (step 40). I ended up using a little petroleum jelly on the
connectors
so they would slip through easier, and I also heated the boot with a hair
dryer. It was
still a royal pain...

I also chose not to install the lift handle. I had the luxury of riding an
ST demo for
about 200 miles, and I found that my left heel would contact the handle
assembly
while shifting my feet around on the pegs. If you are comfortable putting
the bike on
the center stand without this handle, this is definitely something to
consider.

One thing I noticed on my bike is that the rear sub-frame and fender
assembly seem
to be slightly twisted and offset to the right. When I look at my bike
directly from the rear,
the fender is offset about 1  inch to the right of the tire centerline. This
was like this
before I started the pannier installation, so it has nothing to do with the
pannier brackets,
but it seems a little odd. Has anyone else noticed this on their bike?

Thanks for all the useful info and happy riding...

- -- Craig Kemp