Re: Oil Warning and engine cut out

>>Towards the end of my ride home from work today my ST's oil warning light
flickered briefly and then lit up and the engine cut out. This happened
just
as I reached my house so I rolled into the driveway with the clutch in.
I've
checked the oil in the sight glass on the side of the engine and it seems
perfect. I turned the bike off and back on and it restarted ok and the oil
light didn't illuminate but I turned it off straight away just in case. Has
anyone heard of this sort of thing or anything similar happening? Should I
take the bike for a short ride and see if the problem reoccurs or should I
get it towed to the bike shop? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.<<

Phil,
     If the light come on as the engine cut out, maybe you do not have an
oil problem at all, but something cut the motor, perhaps an electrical
problem. As the motor cut & the rpm drops, the oil pressure drops & the
ignition is still on so you see the light.
     If you did lose all oil pressure, the motor would not seize instantly
so I doubt seizing is the cause of the motor cutting out. I dont know how
the oil pump on this Triumph is driven, but other bikes can have an oil
pump driven by gears & if the gear breaks it can jam up & stop the motor.
     If you turn the ignition on & the oil light comes on & it goes off as
soon as the motor starts, you could probably ride it to the dealer, but
keep a close eye on the light. Also keep in mind what may happen if the
motor was to cut out again at the wrong moment, eg: like when cornering or
in traffic.
     I'm sorry if all the above is a bit vague but it doesnt look like you
have had any other replies yet. I think the most likely cause is just an
electrical problem the caused your motor to cut out. Let us know what u
find...

Darren.
2000 ST, Melbourne