Re: Introduction and questions

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 20:00:58 -0800, David Armstrong
<armstrong750@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I very much liked the VFR and would consider getting
>another one like it, but some time back I had the
>opportunity to test ride the Sprint ST and was
>immediately impressed.  The riding position seemed
>much like that of my comfy VFR, but with more grunt, a
>great sound, and available luggage.

Those, plus more reasonable insurance, were the things that sold me on
the Sprint as well.

>I was expecting to have to wait until February to buy
>a motorcycle due to the timing of bonuses at my job.
>And to be honest, I didn't think I'd be able to afford
>a Sprint (used or otherwise) on this go-round.  But in
>the trader mag I was perusing, I found a '99 with
>"slight fairing damage" for $3900.  It sounds too good
>to be true and I wanted to confer with some ST owners
>about it.

Wow. If all it needs is some plastic, that's a screaming deal.

>I was going to look into this bike tomorrow (Monday)
>and was hoping to get a list of things to look for
>specific to the ST.  Any help here would be
>appreciated.

I can't think of any real problem areas specific to Triumphs that you
need to watch out for. Check all the usual 'used bike' stuff, of
course - condition of the tires, condition of chain and brakes,
presence of hoses and such. Ask if the recalls have been preformed, of
course, but other than that there doesn't seem to be anything special
that they eat up too fast or any special way that they fail.