ST v. Falco v. ST4 unsolicited opinions (was Re: Triumph engine d esign)

I had the chance to rent a nice new red Falco this summer while on vacation
in Europe.
The bike had 2200Km on it when I got it and it was just about broken in.

We put 800 miles or so on the bikes (wife rented a 600TT ;-) ) and I feel I
really got a good test ride.
Mixed terrain but mostly many, many turns. I really liked it but am glad I
went for the Sprint. The position was just a little more forward, the bike a
little heavier in the feel, and the torque although really grin inducing in
that v-twin rush way, kinda left me wanting for the smooth linear rush of
the Sprint. The V-twin torque was pretty cool, rapid (but not snap) full
throttle in first will bring the front end right up every time as you pass
through 7000 or so. !!!!! The feel repeatedly gave me one thought I wish I
could have both but I can't so I like my well rounded smooth sprint better!

I had 4500miles on my '00 sprint at the time so it was easy to compare
different feedback signals.

I also don't think, after spending more time than the typical showroom visit
as before the rental, that I like the looks of the Falco nearly as much as
the ST.

I have added the pipeline underseat to my bike with the T-high pipe tune and
it did away with the off idle stutter and added more punch to the mid-range,
not to mention the sound improvement.

As a side note I have also spent a little time on a friends '00 Duc ST4 and
again don't like the ergonomics, level of finish or protection from the
elements nearly as much as the ST.

Bottom line in my opinion, the Sprint wins for my needs, medium speed,
medium distance, carrying capacity, 70% of the time, blasting around
hooliganism, 15% of the time, and heart racing tight corner road work 15% of
the time.

The sprint was considerably cheaper (10,400 w/bags out the door in NH), and
it's the only one available in such a stunning blue.

YMMV, Just my opinions
Jay W In Peabody, Ma

>Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:14:54 -0800
>From: "lowedaph@xxxxxxxxxxx" <lowedaph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: Triumph engine design

> I noticed that many of the bike mags (eg BiKE) which rated the ST above
the VFR in their tests in 99 now place it behind >the VFR, despite the bikes
being identical in 2000 model form.  Just fashion I guess?
> Just a few thoughts....

>In the latest comparo I saw, the Aprilia Falco, came in first. It
apparently has significantly more power and torque than >the Ducati's or
Triumph's sport tourer offerings. And supposedly delivers it in a manner
appropriate for the real world (instead of catering to the race replica
hallucinations some of us suffer from).

>I've never ridden an Aprilia vehicle with more than 80cc, but it would be
interesting to compare the Falco to the Sprint.