RE: Motorcyclist magazine

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Findiesen-Jr, William H wrote:

> How the motorcycle magazines can continue to place the VFR into the Sport
> Touring class when it is not fitted with factory hard bags is beyond me. The
> VFR is a great bike and should be compared against the RS (even though you
> CAN still get a hard trunk), the ZX9 or some other sport bike because it
> seems to fit into that category most. The VFR has gotten plenty of press -
> too much press IMHO. I appreciate the great bike that it is, but until it
> gets hard bags - it is NOT a sport touring bike.

Bill, for the most part I completely agree, well except for the
ZX9r part :-) IMNSHO the VFR800 is in the same category as the
YZF600, ZX6e, ZX11 and so one.

If I where king, in the article it would feature, a ZX9r, as it is
one of the most civil open class bike ever made. And of course the
Sprint ST.

Yup, there are many bikes to choose from, why the mags have this
complete love for Honda is beyond me. Then there is HD and Ducati,
same thing.

I simply do not get it. I was in a Duc shop about a month ago, and
the salesperson was falling over the 996 and the ST4, about how
the twin develop so much torque they can't help to be faster.
Um, not, my old ZX9r kicks there a$$, for less money, more reliable
and comfortable as well.

I will admit HD's are getting much more reliable, but exclude none
HD riders from the N.A. motorcycle lifestyle is also beyond me. I
think it was the TV version of Motorcylist on SpeedVision that only
highlighted HD's at the Biketoberfest, from what I understand (could
not attend) there where lots of sport (and sport turing bikes)

Anyway, I just don't get it. Kawi very rarely gets a favorable nod
even though they tend to be faster, untopled king of the HP/l war,
more comfortable, .... ex. how many R1's/900rr's do you see at the
top of the 1/4 mile war?, how many 2 year old R1's/900's do you
see with 30,000+ miles, and yet all three (R1, 900rr and ZX9r) are
with in tenths of a second at most racetracks? Let's see an article
on that one. On the ZX list, one of the members took 5 or 6 months
off work and went around NA close to twice on a ZX9r? Let's see a
story on that. I can also introduce you to an couple who, among
several bikes, have a ZX9r and a VFR800, guess which one leaves
the garage first? (hint, its not the Honda)

I guess I just have to accept the fact that the two brands I love,
just simply do not have the blessings of the media. Oh well, I'll
live.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel much better now.

Thomas

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>        http://get.qnx.com
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5100 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 1000, Plano, TX, 75024
V: 214-495-5665  F: 214-495-5664