Triumph Racing

Sunday Oct 1st. Thruxton National Championships.

Busy day for team JL. Two 600 races and a Powerbike race.

Two riders in the 600, Adam Lewis and Paul Notman. Adam raced
for us a few years ago and was tempted out of retirement a couple
of weeks ago at Lydden Hill where he won 4 races for us on the
T595.

Practice for the 600's put Adam on the front row 3rd fastest, with
Paul in 17th, it was Pauls first time out racing the 600.

The Powerbike was a problem, the 595 decided to misbehave and start
misfiring, so Adam rushed in after 2 laps, jumped on the 600 and
managed to qualify in 14th spot. Not too bad there were 13 750cc+
bikes behind him.

The first 600 race was a reasonable start by both riders, Adam not
making the best from the front row though and after a fight back
ended up in 6th place. His race average speed was just over 100mph.
Paul was doing better than his grid start,until a riders engine blew
infront of him. The net result of having his visor and bike covered in
oil, saw him drop back to 18th.

The 595 we hoped we had cured and a good thrashing with some birch
twigs must have done the trick. From 14th Adam made up good ground
to finish 10th just behind Tom Knight on a well sorted Ducati. A
race average of 101.22mph.

The second 600 was going to be interesting, it had rained just before
the start of the previous race, enough to make it damp but not flooded.
So we, and most of the field, went for wets. Adam got the start right
and was leading, we could hardly believe it. There was quite a tussle
for the lead with 2 other riders just sneaking by and a 3rd catching.
We were thinking a 3rd would be nice after all, at least a goodish
result. No one told Adam though. Coming into the last lap at the
chicane, he outbraked the two in front and started the lap with a
30 yard advantage which he held till the end, winning by 1.07secs.
There we are Triumph's first National win in the UK, we were all of
course very excited by it and proved that the TT600 is the bike we
thought it would be.
Paul had a steady ride and was lying in 11th place until he made an
error which dropped him back to 14th.

A good weekend.

Steve.