Bungees

>I'm posting this from the big BMW IBMWR list.  At the Rallye this
>August I saw several folks that had attached things in a rather ..
>well less than optimum way... So please be careful!

That type of accident isn't all that uncommon. Some friends of ours had a
similar experience, only they were about 1 hour into their big summer
vacation trip. Something came loose on the back and locked up the rear
wheel while they were on the freeway. Rider and passenger ended up with
broken arms, rider had a broken collarbone in addition. Their BMW was
nearly totalled. Fortunately for them he was able to ride it out until he
got it down to about 40mph, and then he dumped it. But by that time people
behind them saw it and had time to react so no one hit them.

I saw the bike in their garage later, and he showed me the hole in the rear
tire where the skid had completely chewed through the carcass. It's one
thing to control a skid, but a skid and a blowout at the same time will
ruin your day.

Ever since I first saw them, I've been a big fan of bungee nets. They are a
lot more secure than individual bungee cords. Of course now with three
pieces of lockable luggage, I don't even use the bungee net that often.

Matt Knowles - mattknowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.earthlink.net/~mattknowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - (408) 977-1804
http://www.aestheticdesign.com

End of st-digest V2000 #512