On Demand Traffic Lights

Well folks, as I was leaving the courthouse today (had jury duty)I happened=
 across some public works techs working on a traffic light signal control=
 box.  Having never seen the inside of one of these I stopped and took a=
 gander.  Started talking to the tech and found out something very=
 interesting.  You know those On Demand signals that leave us bikers sitting=
 there waiting and waiting well there's a reason.  They don't work on weight=
 like alot of folks believe.  They are actuated by metal detectors buried in=
 the ground.  The Tech said they are generally 6x6 in size and are placed in=
 various configurations.  Told him I quite often have to run redlights=
 because the signal never picks up my bike.  He told me that the best way to=
 approach these signals is to get in the middle of the lane about 30 feet=
 from the light and stop a minimum of 2-3 feet from the white line.  He said=
 no matter what configuration has been placed it should pick up my bike. =
 Unfortunately it's raining here, so haven't had a chance to test this out. =
 If you are like me though and either tend to ride on the left or right side=
 of the lane to avoid car droppings then you've probably experience that=
 dreadful wait for a car to pull up behind you or checking for cops and=
 running the red.

<bold>Lex Offer

</bold>reffoxel@xxxxxxxxxxx

2000 Saphire Sprint ST