202-546-0983 (voice) 202-546-0986 (fax)
eMAIL to: wyld@xxxxxxx or the Website @ www.mrf.org (website)
GOOD CHARACTER OF AMERICAN BIKERS ATTACKED
Friday, October 6, 2000

This is an urgent call to action for all MRF members and members of
State
Motorcyclists' Rights Organizations nationwide.

Last night, on television stations serving our nation's capitol, a
new
commercial aired which advocated the re-election of U.S. Senator
Chuck Robb
(D-Va) who is running against former Virginia Governor George Allen
(R). In
the commercial, paid for by the Virginia Democratic Party, while the
narrator grimly discusses gun and crime issues, Allen is shown
shaking hands with bikers. Leather and Harley-Davidson (tm) logos are
clearly visible. The spot closes with a worried mother watching her
child walk to school alone.

According to the Washington Post, "The new ad opens with a hand
pulling a
black gun out of a case, then the image switches to Allen shaking
hands with two men, one in black leather, the other in camouflage.
Both wear
Harley-Davidson insignia....Ominous-sounding piano music plays
throughout."

The Motorcycle Riders Foundation views this ad campaign as blatant
fear
mongering that besmirches the good character and image of American
bikers by juxtaposition of a grim narration about guns and crime.
Using video sleight of hand, this commercial, which seeks to woo
Virginia Women to vote for Senator Robb's reelection, essentially
suggests that law-abiding American motorcyclists are somehow
undesirable, people to be feared.

To make matters worse, this malicious attack on our character is
being
broadcast, repeatedly, into the homes of Senators and Congressman who
live
in Washington, D.C., and nearby suburbs in Maryland and Virginia.
That means this attack sullies the reputation of riders in the minds
of the families of Congressmen and Senators from every state in the
union.

And the attack on our character will continue -- for weeks unless you
act
now.

I. Call the office of U.S. Senator Chuck Robb at 202-224-4024. Be
mannerly
but firm in expressing your outrage and ask him to tell the Virginia
Democratic Party to pull the ad and apologize to American
motorcyclists.

2. Call the campaign offices of "Robb for Senate" at (703) 960-7622
and
express the same message.

3. Call at least 3 other riders, explain this attack and urge them to
make
similar phone calls.

Be prepared: the staffers you speak to may disavow knowledge of the
commercial. Because it is paid for by the Virginia Democratic Party,
staffers may suggest you call that organization. In response, you
should
explain that, regardless of who is paying for the ad campaign,
Senator Robb
is benefiting from it at the expense of our reputation. Explain that
you are rightfully lodging your objections with the beneficiary of
the attack
campaign -- Senator Chuck Robb -- and requesting that he take
immediate
action, call off the defamation and apologize.

With gratitude for taking this important stand in defending our
reputation,
I remain,

Yours for the right to ride - and for the protection of our
character;

Thomas C. Wyld
Vice-President of Government Relations
Motorcycle Riders Foundation>>