RE: On Demand Traffic Lights

> > He told me that the best way to approach these signals is to get in the
> >middle of the lane about 30 feet from the light and stop a minimum of 2-3
> >feet from the white line.

It is highly likely that the loop detector your talking about is either faulty
or has been adjusted to make it less sensitive.  Here in Sweden, virtually all
signals are vehicle actuated and depend on loop detectors positioned at various
distances from the stop line, in order to operate.  You'd be surprised at the
number of detector failures that can occur.

Also depending on lane configurations and turning movements etc. they may have
adjusted the sensitivity to prevent 'false' detections from large vehicles on
the opposite carriageway for example.  There should be no problem for a
correctly operating detector to pick up a motorcycle, they are designed to
detect all types of vehicles!!  No special 'tactics' on the part of the rider
should be required to ensure detection.  If you think there's something wrong
call the local highway authority and ask them to check it out.

Andy

ps Apologies for sounding like a boring git, but I work in the traffic signal
control industry and bloody exciting it is too...sometimes.