Cargo Carrier (Bicycle) NEED ADVICE!

A while back I asked if anyone knew of a company producing bicycle carriers
for motorcycles.  One of you gave me a link to a guy who builds rack systems
which mount to the side of the bike (passenger foot peg and grab rail).  I
have been corresponding with the guy who builds them, and he believes that
the system will work.  I need YOUR advise weather or not this will work.

I have cut & copied his last email to me explaining how the rack would
mount.  Please read......

- --To connect to it you could drill a 1/2" hole through both sides
- --(this would be fast and easy but may compromise strength)
- --2nd option would be to notch a 1/2" half-round into the back side of the
grab
- --bar- this would keep the strength but allow a notch to hold the threaded
rod
- --from moving up or down- then the threaded rod would be u-bolted to the
grab
- --bar
- --3rd option would be to u-bolt a flat bar across the back of the grab bar
- --which would have a 1/2" threaded coupling welded to each end which would
- --accept the 1/2" threaded rod.
- --all these options would allow the 1/2" threaded rod to come off the grab
bar
- --and hold the upper end of the "trac"- the lower end of the trac would
connect
- --to the passenger peg replacement piece I send.
- --the trac could be left on to accept hard homemade luggage- carry golf
clubs,
- --a doggy carrier box (in the design/r&d phase) etc. or removed when not
- --carrying anything- a 10 min. operation
- --the weld on couplings would ad $25.  and bring the standard price of $99
up
- --to $125. plus shipping of course. the half notch setup would not ad
anything
- --extra.
LINK TO WEB SITE: http://hometown.aol.com/mschue5938/mschuette.html

So, in your opinion, would the rear grab rail support having two 1/2 inch
holes drilled through it, and the weight of the rack and a 26 lb bicycle +
wind resistance???  Do any of you think that using a U-Bold style connection
might work better?   Any advise or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike from Omaha
00' ST