Re: Lyle Lovett Motorsports/Pro-Italia issue

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000 13:31:26 -0700 , Steven Kohlscheen
<steven.kohlscheen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I'm finding this discussion very interesting.  I don't see why these
>dealerships can't just take what they can get, then do what any other
>stateside Euro-bike dealer does.  Call the other dealers that can't sell
>what they want, and trade.  Pro-Italia can call a dealer in, say, Kansas
>City and trade them, cruisers for sport bikes. Then both dealers get the
>bikes they want and can sell, or think they can sell.  The manufacturer
>can't complain because the bikes are going out the door to happy customers.
>What I am seeing here is dealers dropping out because they aren't dedicated
>enough to the marque to take this action.

The biggest problem I see with that is that the good sellers seem to
be the sport bikes, even among the 'traditional' Triumph dealers. Back
when I used to go there, South Bay Triumph almost always had plenty of
the retro bikes on-hand, as does Orange County Triumph. The sportbikes
are the ones that seem to be in short supply.

Counting on finding a dealer who needs a Legend bike and is willing to
give up a Speed Triple in exchange (for example) is not the best way
to run a shop, especially when floor space is at a premium.