re: suspension woes

	I'm assuming the suspension is the same on the RS as my ST, which it
appears to be from what I've seen. The preload adjustment will change how stiff
the ride is. The front is adjustable with the screws in the top of your forks -
counterclockwise is softer. The rear preload can be adjusted with a screwdriver
through a hole in the frame on the left side next to the rear shock - at least
that's where it is on the ST. Your owner's manual should be able to give you
the details. Again, counterclockwise is softer.
	The reason it's adjustable is that the springs are progressive: the
more you compress them the stiffer they get. The preload screws change the
compression of the springs at rest, so tighter is stiffer because you've
pre-compressed the weaker part of the spring and put the load on a stiffer part
of the spring. Adjustment is pretty fine - I'd start with only a turn or two
and see how you like it.
	The rear is also adjustable for rebound damping, which also affects the
ride. Rebound damping slows how quickly the suspension returns to it's normal
position after being compressed. Some folks will probably tell you to set the
preload for the proper sag - the suspension compression between no load on the
bike and you sitting on it, then adjust the rebound damping to suit your taste.
That's a prefectly valid way to do it, too, and more correct for something like
racing. The RaceTech website has the full procedure if you really want to do it
right.
	One warning: if you get the suspension too soft you can drag parts if
you ride aggressively. On the ST we get scuffs on the bellypan if it's too
soft. If you don't have a bellypan on your RS, the first thing you drag could
be serious.

Enjoy,

	"Jedi Dawg"  Jim Huber
	'00 blue ST  "Rhiannon"