Re: For Mike

For these bikes you definitely DON'T want to use the kill switch for
anything but what it was designed to be used for -- namely as an emergency
cutoff in case your motor goes wild, like, for example, it would if your
throttle was stuck wide open.  In my opinion this rule applies to ALL bikes,
but I know that many riding schools recommend including the kill switch in
the sequence.  I even had a friend say that their Harley manual mentions the
routine use of the kill switch -- no explanation as to why however.  I do
see the logic in checking to make sure the kill switch is not enabled before
attempting to start, especially if it's someone else's bike!!  I got faked
out by one bike whose kill switch still allowed the starter to turn over,
but prevented the motor from firing.  I don't even know if that's the case
for the ST.

As has been stated already, the onboard computer records certain settings
AFTER you turn the key off, and it doesn't get a chance to do this if you
use the kill switch.

Curiously, during the break-in period I had exactly these symptoms whereby
the bike would run if you kept the rev's up -- it just wouldn't idle.  And
the problem wouldn't seem to go away until I turned the key completely off
and then re-started.  And I was pleased with myself when I figured out the
'fix' on my own before I ever read about it here.

However all this does not adequately explain why I ever had the problem in
the first place because I have NEVER used the kill switch to turn off my ST
(and I have also never held the throttle open when I start the bike, which I
think was mentioned by someone as being another possible cause).  All I know
is that I only saw this problem a few times over the first few months after
I got the bike, and I've never seen it since.  The problem did, as I recall,
only happen after short rides when the bike was shut off (with the key) and
then started again after a short time (like after stopping for lunch or a
gas fillup).  It never happened immediately after a cold startup at the
beginning of a ride either.

I think someone else mentioned that there was some part in the motor that
needed time to work itself in, and even that some dealers were secretly
exercising this part by cycling the bike on an off repeatedly when they had
a chance because Triumph knows what the problem really is, but just doesn't
want it to become general knowledge.  Personally I'm not sure if I buy this
explanation either, but it made for good reading.

Neil