clear protective film

i was looking at eric's page ( http://www.triumphnet.com/st/acc/3m/ )
describing the Scotchcal film.  it looks like pretty good stuff.

how curved a surface can it adapt to?  there's a picture of it
on the speed triple tank that gives the impression you can just stick
one piece over the rear of a motorcycle tank, and it will conform just
fine.  is that right?

also, how durable is it?  will it stand up to day-to-day abrasion from
a set of soft bags?  that's my main interest (though tank protection would
be nice as well).  on my VX, the chase-harper Stealth bags that i use
daily, along with the bigger bags i use when touring, have, in the end,
made kind of a mess of the side panels.  the bike was scarred enough by
the time i noticed this happening that i didn't really care, but i'd
hate to do the same thing to the RS if i can avoid it.  but i really
need a solution that stops short of daily cleanings and waxings, or
other overly compulsive behavior on my part -- i know i won't do it in
the long run.  some kind of lightweight rack that supported the bags
away from the body panels would be ideal, but i suspect no one makes
such a thing for the RS/ST.

paul