Burn baby, burn

I know this is a Sprint list, but I find the folks here among the more
knowledgeable, and since the Speed Triple has the same engine, perhaps
someone might be able to help. Somewhere during the first 5000 miles of my
bike's (99 S3) life it developed a habit of burning oil. The bike had been
broken according to manufactor specification, and never abused. The bike was
serviced at 500 and 3000 miles, and no problem was noted, although the shop
that did it had more Harley experience than Triumph experience. The bike sat
most of the Michigan winter and was brought to California in the spring.
Here, the problem was discovered. When the engine was taken apart, extensive
wear was discovered. The cylinders, pistons, rings, and valve seals were all
replaced by a competent mechanic with a lot of experience. When it was put
back together, the bike ran better than it ever has before. But less than 8
weeks and 1000 miles later, the engine had burned 3 quarts of T4. All of
these miles were accumulated in city or freeway traffic in 50-80F
temperatures. The bike has a total of 6500 miles.

Its covered under warranty, and I've got a good shop who will stand by me,
so I know it will all work out in the end, but I'm stumped by what could be
causing this. Has this happened to anyone else?

Daphne