Air Ambient Temparature Guage

With the onset of colder weather, my mind turned to the VFR800 and it's
Ambient Temperature Guage.  Is it possible to get an aftermarket version
that we could fit to the ST, anybody already done this ?  What's involved.
It would be really useful to know when the temperature drops close to zero
when crossing the moors etc.  Being ignorant of such things, would a simple
fridge temperature guage work mounted on the dash or somewhere, or does it
have to be more sophisticated with sensors elsewhere?

Phil "Black Dawg" Guy