Rear tyre tread depth

Leatherbiker writes:
 > Does anyone in the UK have a nifty way of checking whether the back
 > (and front) tyre is still legal?

    I've got a tread depth gauge, I think it was a couple of quid from
Halfords.

 > When I lived abroad, I learned to use different coins to check the
 > depth left, but unfortunately coins aren't universal.

    I would offer to measure a variety of UK coins, but I'm a bit busy
trying to move house at the moment and I doubt that I'd get around to
it any time soon!

 > I have done 8,000 miles on mine and something tells me it's soon
 > time for a change, though the front looks like it's got loads of
 > wear left.
 > I'm not even sure where to look for the actual legal specifications
 > of tyre roadworthiness - is it the Highway Code?

    Yes, on page 90 of my 1999 edition.  "Motorcycles MUST have a
tread depth of at least 1mm across three-quarters of the breadth of
the tread and in a continuous band around the entire circumference.
Mopeds should have visible tread."  Interesting about the mopeds!

    So the legal limit is 1mm, but that really isn't very much and I
tend to change tyres when they're down to about 2mm.  Or maybe I'm
just a spendthrift :-)

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_                Having both MAG and BMF alive keeps
  gillespie.org   / -.--.    ___      the Wierd Beards out of the one and
                 _\_  ~-.`--'_.-'     the Dayglo Dereks out of the other.
 '99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/                                 -- Hoddy