Thanks for the replies

Wow.

Thanks for all the replies, guys!  Had several people e-mail me privately
with more local info including a strong dealer recommendation.

You meet the nicest people on a Triumph.  :)

I did some checking on Progressive's website.  Not sure if they are very
high or there is a conspiracy against me.  I got the following rates for 12
months and this is with the *highest* comp/collision deductible!($1000):

ST- $1829/yr.
Ducati and BMW were the same as above.  Surprising.  Seems they just grouped
'tour bikes' or something.

Bandit- $1503/yr

VFR- $3186!   I won't even consider the VFR at all.

For curiosity I checked the VMAX..surprisingly it's just $1483/yr.  Odd.

Also checked Harley...$2266/yr.

And here's the kicker...the CBR1100 $5532/yr!!!!!!!!!!

I don't really get why it's so high.  These rates include the MSF Saftey
Course reduction and Alarm and garage/enclosure.  I used the same data for
each model...just changed bikes and made sure the cc's were correct.
<shrug>

You guys gave some good reasons for picking the ST over the competition.
I'd probably come to the same conclusions.  But the insurance seems to be a
big chunk of change.  I hope the rate quotes were artificially high for some
reason I can get around.

Well, I'll stick around and lurk a while.  You guys have a ball riding- not
that you need someone to tell you that.