Re: Sigma BC800

At 05:24 PM 10/26/00 -0700, Neil Lindsey wrote:
>Eric Sheley can confirm first hand that the wireless version is indeed
>speed-limited, contrary to what you may see on the net (Sigma has a site) or
>from what you may hear from a bicycle dealer.  I don't think he ever
>mentioned anything about electrical interference, although it's a
>possibility.

That is correct - I tried the RCS Plus and found that it only reached
99mph. I was finally able to confirm this as a limitation of the model
after speaking with someone in their technical department in Germany. At
that time they were aware of the large number of units being sold for
motorcycles, but had no plans to redesign the product for a higher speed
limitation.

The other problem is that the transmission distance is very limited. On a
bicycle you would mount the unit on the bar directly above the fork. This
doesn't work too well on a motorcycle - really for best transmission, you
would almost need to mount the receiver in the dash. While I am on the
problem side, I found the sensor to be rather large as well. All in all I
was much happier when I went back to the wired mounting. Luckily I was
dealing with a bicycle shop that I spend a lot of money at and they took
they wireless unit back even though I had installed it (ran around $80-$100
if I remember correctly)

I did just spend some time poking around on the Sigma site and found that
they now offer a night light for the sigma - too cool - that will be my
next addition......

- - Eric

End of st-digest V2000 #563