How much is too much?

Hi all,

I seem to recall previous discussion (maybe the T5 list) about the fact that
a complete oil change including filter actually requires LESS than the 4
litres that the owners manual and/or service manual specifies.

I can't remeber if there are any serious issues that result from dumping in
a full 4-litre jug.  Does anyone know?  Blown seals?  Overflow spillage?  Or
worse?

The reason I ask is that I suspect that my dealer did just that, or at least
ended up putting in more than necessary.  With the bike on level ground on
its centre stand I cannot see the top level of the oil thru the sightglass.
In fact I still can't see the level when the bike is on its sidestand.  I
ALMOST asked them to be careful about this BEFORE handing over the bike, but
I thought they'd be a bit peeved at me.  Next time I'll know better.  Better
yet, next time I'll do the job myself.

Assuming that they did just put in the whole 4 litres, does anyone know how
much I'm going to have to drain out to bring the level back to mid-way
between the marks on the sight glass (as specified in the service manual).
Is there an easier way to do this other than messing about with the drain
plug? -- I was thinking about thru the fill hole.

Neil
'99 Black ST -- the onnnly way to fly