Re: st-digest V2000 #454

Jim,

I think they meant "unless first gear is too high", but sure,
there's no use lowering the gearing unless it's geared to high.

For me, stock gearing was too high.  I was always lugging the
motor in first gear on steep hills where I had to keep the speed
down (like my driveway.)  When I parked the bike you could
smell burning clutch.

And I was always having to use first because second was just a
bit too high.  Running first at 6-7K in bumpy twisties works, but
it feels frantic.  Second is smoother (and I never catch neutral
downshifting to second ;-> )

So yeah, for me, the stock gearing was too high; and now it's
about right.  I wouldn't recommend the 17-tooth for everybody;
but it's definitely the way to go for mountain riders.

- -Don "Blue Dawg" Draper

P.S.  Hope "Blue Dawg" wasn't taken and it's OK to just appropriate
        a "Dawg Tag" :-) .

- ----- Original Message ----- | Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 11:24:36 +0100 (BST)