Re: RAT Pack

Eric Sheley <eric@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> I'd say it's because it's contrived, and appears to be a marketing
>> gimmick.

> While it is a marketing tool, I don't know if I would go all the way
> to contrived.

    I know next to nothing about HOG, except that it exists.  But when I
first heard about RAT and saw the logo I thought "oh no, Triumph is
trying to be Harley".  To me, the name "Riders' Association of Triumph"
reeks of a contrivance to use an animal's name and get an easy logo out
of it.

    People like to ride in groups, sure, nothing contrived about that.
It's the idea of the factory organising your life for you that seems
contrived - once you've bought a Triumph bike they want to sell you
Triumph clothing to go with it, and for you to spend all your time
engaged in Triumph activities.  It just feels like brainwashing to me.

    I'm sure lots of people want to ride in RAT packs, and that's fine,
but it's not for me.

> Factory sponsored rider's groups wether it be Harley or BMW or Triumph
> are designed to enhance the motorcycle ownership experience. Do they
> hope that it will help increase sales through repeat business ? I
> would hope so.

    John Bloor is on the record as stating that he's in business to make
money, not for a nostalgia trip.  I have no problem with that, but I
recognise what Triumph is doing and I'll pick and choose what I want
from the choice available.

>> I also think that in this country (and probably others) it's
>> something of a slight to the existing Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club,
>> which may not have official factory backing but is made up of Triumph
>> enthusiasts.

> Maybe, but I always considered TOMC

    TOMCC in the UK at least, but I don't want to get into the whole
MC/MCC debate here!

> to be "vintage" (bikes and riders) ;-)  While they might have an event
> that I would be interested in, I would rather be part of a group that
> catered to the Hinckley models.

    Fair enough.  I was on tour with an active TOMCC (Belgium) member in
New Zealand last year, on new Triumphs (from Thunderbike Powersports, an
excellent tour (how's that for a plug Fitz? ;-)), and they had
specifically designed their logo to include both old and new Triumphs.
He also felt that TOMCC had been treated shabbily by the factory.

>> It looks to me as though Triumph want to completely control all
>> elements of the "Triumph Experience".

> As do many manufacturers.

    And that rankles with me!  It seems to be the way things are going
these days, but I don't have to like it :-)

> However, for an example of a successful group formed by an "external
> agency", just look at H.O.G. here in the US. There are a number of reasons
> for it's success
> - Strong Factory Support [...]
> - Strong Dealer Support [...]
> - Common Platform [...]
> - Rider base that likes to hang out - [...]

    If I had to guess, I'd say that number four is the most important -
people seem to buy Harleys for the image, the lifestyle, and that
includes belonging to a club.  So Harley even has a ready-made club to
join!

    With HOG, was it a case of the factory starting up, building a few
bikes and then forming HOG?  Or was it more of a case of building up a
large user base and then filling a vacuum, giving the user base
something they wanted?  As you said yourself, Triumph hasn't yet got the
large established user base; they may be trying to run before they've
learned to walk.

    But if they pull it off, more bikes for all of us :-)

> I could go on and on, but their market is so different that it is not
> a worthwhile exercise.

    So is it worthwhile to use the same marketing techniques on the
Triumph market?  I'm just being awkward now :-)

[...]

> The next thing is that they need to stop trying to make every event
> one pace / style for every owner out there. [...]

    I've seen a similar situation with a group I've been involved with.
The solution was to organise different events to appeal to the different
subgroups.

> However, the thing that can best improve RAT is rider participation.
> If you have a "lame" chapter or no chapter, get with the sponsoring
> dealer and let him know - offer your services. If you need more help,
> contact your Area / National RAT leader and get their assistance.

    What I still don't "get" is why RAT is needed at all.  But if the
people want it, it will happen.

                Jim
- --
      jim@         ,'_            Robin:    "How's the bike Duncan?"
  gillespie.org   / -.--.    ___  Duncan:   "Don't know .. they haven't
                 _\_  ~-.`--'_.-'            brought all of it back yet!"
 '99 Sprint ST  \__/ `---'  \__/