Re: Lighting

Off the top I'm assuming that others have successfully used these upgrade
bulbs without problems.  I haven't tried any replacements so I can't
comment.

If it's not too much of a hassle ;>) you could try the 'good' bulb on the
right side and get another replacement for the left.  If the left one blows
then I'd say the supplier might have a batch of duff bulbs.  I'm assuming of
course that you replaced both bulbs with the upgraded variety.  If the right
blows again, then I'm not so sure what's going on.

I was going to suggest that with a lightbulb you generally apply full
battery voltage across the bulb and the only resistance is the internal
resistance of the filament.  This determines the current drawn and the heat
(and light of course) given off.  If the battery voltage was low, it should
affect both bulbs evenly (and lots of other things as well).  If there is
extra resistance somewhere (eg. bad contacts) then the current flowing
through the bulb would be less and I would normally expect the bulb to last
longer, not shorter.

Having said all that, maybe these bulbs work differently and burn out
quickly at lower voltage.  Maybe someone else van enlighten us all if this
is the case.  In any event I'd grab a DVM and check the voltage right at the
bulb (and with the light on).  You need to know what voltage is being
applied directly to the bulb under load and you won't get a meaningful
reading if the bulb is already burned out or if it has been removed (no
current being drawn).

One other thing -- are you aware that the lifespan of high intensity
lightbulbs can be shortened dramatically if the glass bulb gets contaminated
(eg. greasy fingerprints)?

Hope this helps

Neil