Re: RS tires, BT020s, Michelin Pilot Sports

From: Jan and Don Draper <ddraper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
<snip>I can tell you for sure that the new Michelins are better than the
worn
>out BT020s!   I can also tell you that the BT020s are a good match for
>the RS and that the Pilots, so far, aren't strikingly better.
<snip>

 Yes Don, BT-020's are a good match, and the Michelins are a great tire. The
Pilots are one other thing: Strikingly more expensive! I noticed Chaparral
had the BT-020's on sale. The rear I ordered went for $94.97 + $8.00
shipping, US. A Pilot Sport in the same size from the same source was
$146.99 + shipping. 1.5X, ouch.

Two of my friends are now running the Pilot Sport on their Yamaha R1's. One
fellow rides fairly sedate, while the other absolutely FLOGS his. (One of
the very few I know who really can tell "how much better the 2000 R1 is than
the old '99"!)

Road Racing World recently did a decent comparo of the Pilot against the
target tire: Dunlop's D207. They did test both the race compounds and the
street versions. In a nutshell, they found the Michelins wear a lot longer,
but take a lot more time to heat up to operating temperature. They also
seemed to concur that the Pilots don't give as much warning when they're
about to slip as the Dunlops do. My friend ChR1s also did a nice write-up
about the two. If you want to read it:

http://www.sportriders.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=1&threadid=170

Enjoy!

Ken M.