Pressed Rat and Warthog

>From: Tai Day <tai.day@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>I don't like the rat on the logo either. It's too benevolant looking. >It
>should be menacing. Heck, look at the dawg in the TSRA logo -- very
> >menacing. I also don't believe that people are going to base their
> >decision on purchasing a brand or join a club because of a rat or any
> >animal is on a patch. The R.A.T. has never struck me as Triumph trying
> >to make an iconoclastic statement.

So right you are.  Triumph is trying to sell bikes.  BMW, Harley, and others
have clubs, so Triumph had to also.  How did they come up with the name and
symbol?  They either hired marketing consultants or they used their own.
The logic would have been something like: "Hmmm...Harley Owner's Group =
HOG; therefore, Triumph Owners Group - TOG? Nope, uhhh... got it: Riders
Assoc of Triumph.  It has the animal theme and the abbreviation is the same
idea as Harley's.  Now a Hog **might** have fit the image that the Hell's
Angels (say around the time Hunter S. Thompson wrote the eponymous book)
might enjoy.  Nostalgia is part of what Harley is selling, so new riders
won't mind too much either.

Triumphs are largely sold to the nouveau riche -- Silicon Valley
professionals, and their equivalent in other parts of the world.  RAT may
not fit their image, but it could not have been given too much thought in
the first place.  I had the free membership for one year.  I received
Torque, which is nothing more than an advertising brochure.  And, if you
like riding with large groups of people who own the same type of bike as
you, and don't mind witnessing the inevitable crashes that occur with such
events, then you get to do that too.

Contest time: What would **you** call the group?  What image would you use?
Remember, Triumph won't pay you for your suggestions, but then...