for Scott Friday [Re: Sender's name with the subject headers]

At 09:48 PM 9/13/00 +0000, you wrote:
>         I realize I am relatively new to the list, and I ride a
>Japster hehe; nonetheless, I have a request for whoever runs this
>list.  At the top of each digest is a list of the subjects from all
>...snip...
>Scott Friday a.k.a. "Jap Dawg"

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your input on the digest and how we can improve it. I'm sure our web master is working on that as we type.

I just want to ask that you not use the term "Jap." I know it's real cool amongst Japanese motorcycle brand owners to use that term because they can't...what, finish the last two syllables? I know that we use "Brit" when referring to Triumphs, and other British made motorcycles but I don't know if I can explain to you why I find "Jap" offensive. Maybe because I grew up as an Asian female in the States where most Americans can't differentiate one Asian nationality from the other. We were all sort of bunched together as "slopes," "chink," "flip," maybe "ginge" (but that's a derogatory for Latinas) and to borrow from a past Presidential candidate, "gook." Of course "Jap," that was a favorite in the eighties when Japanese cars were seen to be taking away American jobs.

I've never written a message like this to any mailing list I subscribe to, and I tolerate and enjoy many base pleasures and humor. I know that you do not mean to insult or troll, but I just had to say something.

Thanks ST/RS'ers for letting me get this off my chest and apologies for the bandwidth.

Tai Day
00 RS